By Boston Paul / Special to The Wild East
As Soulik continues to buzz-saw west-northwest at 10 to 15 mph, the current forecast indicates it will gain some strength over next 24 hours, before weakening slightly at landfall, Friday into early Saturday morning (ET).
On its current forecasted track, Soulik will make a dead-on hit at Taipei, Taiwan, one of the most densely populated cities in the world.
Taipei is no stranger to strong typhoons, but Soulik presents a significant threat to the city.
Residents can expect howling winds, huge storm surge and torrential rains that can cause massive flooding the mountainous regions that surround Taipei.
After slamming Taiwan, Soulik will move into the South China Sea and make landfall again on mainland China.
If you’re traveling to the region in the few days, factor these conditions into your travel plans.
Stay in Taipei you’re fucked. Come to Taichung… you’ll be alright…. just like I said.
Where’s your Hippie?
台中市北屯區東山路二段151之2號 151 Dong Shan Road 東山樂園 Dong Shan Le Yuan (Dong Shan Paradise), Taichung, Taiwan 台中市北屯區東山路二段151之2號 151 Dong Shan Road 東山樂園 Dong Shan Le Yuan (Dong Shan Paradise)
From the LUVstock Facebook event page:
LUVstock has been threatened with Rain & Typhoons before and we’ve always pulled through.
LUVstock takes place in Dakeng – which means Big Valley. In other words, while the rest of Taiwan is getting blown to pieces, the Mountain Ranges give ample protection against those pesky typhoons… with never more than a little rain and then stars at night!
UPDATE: 1:20PM Thursday – Soulik has SOUL! She’s moving more Northerly, Taichung is looking safer and safer. If you’re in Taipei, it might behoove you to come SOUTH and Gather with us!
We’ll have more UPDATES soon!
The LUVstock Organizers want to everyone to have a fun, safe weekend, so we will be keeping our Eyes on the Skies and let everyone know if we reschedule.
Rescheduling is a nightmare of course, so if it’s just a little drizzle, we will still have our Wonderful LUV Gathering as planned.
And we’ll have tarps up so everyone stays dry!
If trees and houses are being blown down, we will reschedule.
If anyone has any ideas about what a good Rescheduling date would be, drop us a line (We are thinking End of August, but we’re open to suggestions!).
Fingers Crossed Fellow LUVstockers!